Book Review: One Last Song - S.K.Falls








One Last Song - S.K. Falls
Published: Jan. 13,2015
Standalone
Contemporary, Romance, New Adult, Sociology >Abuse

I was seven when I swallowed my first needle.

My mom freaked out and rushed me to the emergency room.

She stayed by my side all night.

I never wanted it to end.

When you spend your whole life feeling invisible-when your parents care more about deals and deadlines than they do about you-you find ways of making people take notice. Little things at first. Then bigger. It's scary how fast it grows. Then one day something happens that makes you want to stop. To get better. To be better. And for the first time, you understand what it's like to feel whole, happy . . . loved. For the first time, you love someone back.

For me, that someone was Drew.

(85,000 words)

Previously published as IPPY award-winning novel, Secret for a Song.



 photo picadillygray_zpsaa73e183.png

I’m not exactly sure which caught my attention first, but the blurb intrigue more very much. So I decide to reads the reviews, which were basically down the middle, so I didn’t exactly know what to expect.One Last Song is one of those stories that will stay with you for days after the last page. I will admit there were a few times I had to put this one down for a few days and come back due to frustration, but I didn’t give up on the story and I glad that I didn’t .

We’re given a glimpse inside the life of Saylor, she suffers of Munchausen Syndrome and is continuously self inflicting harm to herself each time more elaborate than the last. I often wondered what her endgame was, she said didn’t want to die. Everything about her made me crazy, it's like get over yourself, find something something that makes you happy. I felt conflicted about her parents while they took care of and came to her side whenever she would harm herself, no one should expect them to enable her poor decision.Later its l Everything about Saylor was in the gray area.

Things began to change when Saylor became part of a young terminally ill disease support group. While initially it started as research for her next “fix’, then Drew Dean caught her attention and open her opens to a different world. I like Drew, he brought his own version of light to this dark and disturbing read. I won’t say that meeting her stop hurting herself, but being around Drew and his friends did make Saylor feel something. That’s when the story honestly started to pick up for me which was well after the 50% mark.

As fate would have it Saylor is found out as not being terminally ill and everyone hates her for their own reason, but I felt some kind of way about that. While Saylor’s disease was not terminal, but it could have ended her life if she took it that far. It was her own personal hell that she could not shake for various reasons, her family and doctors could not just fix her. While she went about doing things the wrong way, I feel the misunderstanding between Saylor and Drew that lead her to be apart of his friends support group save her life.

One Last Song is my first experience with S.K. Falls’s work and I believe she took a very delicate situation and made it eye opening. No one character was free from problems, but that made things so much more real. Saylor’s story was told from solely her POV and it was well written. I will admit the pace did NOT pick for me until well after the 50% mark so if you’re going to go down this path be patient and stay strong it will get better. This story is not for the easily squeamish, but it does give you a small hope for a happy ending.

 photo gray3_zps7007b89c.png

 photo arccopy_zps7036bb0c.png

No comments :

Post a Comment